These steps will show you how to replace an existing doorbell with the Alula Video Doorbell
What to do before installing the Alula Video Doorbell
- You should have the following tools on hand:
- Voltage meter
- Wire strippers
- Cordless drill
- Pencil or marker
- Press the button on the existing doorbell to make sure that it rings and there is power to the doorbell.
- Using the voltage meter, test the voltage at the existing doorbell to confirm that it is at least 16 volts. If fewer than 16 volts, you may need to replace the transformer.
- Before getting started, shut off the power to the doorbell at the circuit breaker.
- Check whether the home’s chime is a mechanical or electronic chime. If there’s no existing chime, skip to step 17.
- Unbox the Alula Video Doorbell and locate the wire harness power kit.
- Connect the wire harness power kit to the
wire harness provided in the box.
- Remove the cover from the home’s chime.
- Remove the existing chime wires to the terminals labeled “front” and “trans.”
PRO-TIP: if you have a backdoor chime, leave it connected as is.
- Connect the new wire harness to the chime’s terminals.
- Connect the chime’s wire to the wire harness.
- Mount the power kit to the chime’s moulding.
- Close the chime cover.
How to replace an old doorbell with the Alula Video Doorbell
- Remove the existing doorbell button with a screwdriver.
- Using a pencil or marker, mark the drill points on the leveling plate.
- Drill holes at the marked points and insert the plastic anchors.
- Depending on the position of the doorbell and the front door, install the provided flat or angle plate and make sure that it is level.
- Wire the Alula Video Doorbell to the chime wire using the U-shaped wires. Note: The polarity is not important unless you have a second doorbell elsewhere in the home.
PRO-TIP: If you didn’t have an existing chime, you need to install the fuse.
- Install the Alula Video Doorbell to the mounting plate using the two mounting screws provided in the box.
- Turn the power back on at the circuit breaker.
PRO-TIP: The Alula Video Doorbell button will start red, then flash blue. If after a minute and a half the button is still red, press and hold the reset button on the front of the Alula Video Doorbell.
How to enroll the Alula Video Doorbell using the Alula App
- Download the Alula App from the app store and open it on your phone.
- Once the doorbell starts flashing blue, scan the QR code that can be found on both the manual or on the front of the Alula Video Doorbell.
- Follow the Install Wizard on the app as it leads you through the enrollment process.
- In the app, select the Chime Type for “mechanical,” “electronic” or “none” depending on what kind of chime is in the home.
How to troubleshoot the Alula Video Doorbell
- Attach the faceplate for the Alula Video Doorbell using the doorbell screws provided in the box.
PRO-TIP: The doorbell is charging and will not chime until the internal battery is sufficiently charged. If the doorbell doesn’t chime at first, wait 20 minutes and try again.
- Ring the Alula Video Doorbell to verify that the interior chime is working.
- Open Alula App to view live video through the Alula Video Doorbell. You can also test the two-way audio through the app.